Most vehicles these days will have a tough time trying to accommodate a bike without an aftermarket accessory. Thankfully, there are now plenty of bike racks available at a wide range of prices so you can easily transport your bike with your vehicle. There’s a seemingly endless variety of bike racks available, all variations of the same idea with the same end goal: to safely transport your bike to your destination without having to contort it to fit inside your vehicle.
Types Of Bike Racks :
There are three types of bike racks available in markets :
If you own a sedan or compact car, trunk-mounted racks are probably on the top of your shopping list. Designed to be compact, these racks are the most popular choices for conventional vehicles, although they’ll limit how easily you access your trunk.
- Generally more affordable.
- Higher risk of damaging the body of your vehicle as the mount and latching points form pressure points on the trunk
- May not fit all vehicles.
If you need an accessible trunk, roof racks are more ideal. Roof racks are popular for compact cars, such as sedans and hatchbacks, and are often recommended for vehicles with a low center of gravity. That’s because they typically increase wind resistance, resulting in increased fuel consumption.
- It does not restrict the rearview of the vehicle.
- Maintains clear access to the tailgate/trunk
- Multiple variations are possible: fork mount, frame mount, and wheel mount
- It can be difficult to lift bicycles onto tall vehicles.
- Slightly increases fuel consumption.
- Difficult to fit more than 2-3 bicycles.
Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack:
For SUV and truck owners, hitch-mounted racks are most ideal. These racks sit your bike further away from your vehicle, reducing the chance of possible scratches to your car. But like trunk-mounted racks, they’ll limit access to the trunk while they’re mounted. Some racks, however, feature a tilt-away design that makes it more convenient to use, allowing you to access your trunk without a whole lot of work.
- A good option for larger and taller vehicles.
- Able to carry more bicycles.
- Leaves the roof of the vehicle free to carry other items. A roof box, for instance.
- It will require a hitch installation if your vehicle doesn’t have one.
- May block rearward visibility.
- It makes it difficult to access the trunk – although high-end models can tilt to allow access.
Pickup Truck Options:
If you own a pickup truck, you can also use bed carriers or a tailgate pad.
- Bed carriers are stable and sturdy and hold the bicycle within the box.
- Tailgate pads are generally more affordable.
- Bed carriers may require an assembly to latch onto the truck bed.
- Tailgate pads can block rearview cameras and may not fit perfectly on some tailgates.
5 Best Bike Racks for Car
These are the 5 best bike racks for cars :
Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack:
Take your bike with you wherever you go with the Allen Deluxe Bike Trunk-Mounted Bike Rack. It features 12″ long carry arms that can easily accommodate up to two bikes weighing up to a total of 70 lbs. The Allen Sports bike rack’s individual tie-downs secure and protect the bikes, while the padded lower frame keeps them away from the vehicle to prevent damage. It also has side straps for increased lateral stability, especially during long trips.
Key Features :
- Side straps for increased lateral stability. Single configuration design eliminates setup hassles and headaches during installation.
- The padded lower frame protects the vehicle, and left and right side straps for lateral stability.
- Comes fully assembled; set up and installs in seconds.
- Folds fully flat for easy storage.
Saris Bones 3-Bike Trunk Mount Rack (801):
This Saris Bones 3-bike trunk rack has a unique arc-based design that separates bikes on different levels and fits over the spoilers of many cars. The Saris 801BL Black Bones 3 bike trunk mounted bicycle racks incorporate style, design, convenience, and durability. The Saris 801BL Black Bones 3 bike trunk mounted bicycle racks are designed with an arc-based concept making them compatible with a wide variety of vehicles. The Saris 801BL Black Bones 3 bike trunk mounted bicycle rack is constructed with heavy-duty, 100% recyclable plastic – making the Saris 801BL Black Bones 3 bike trunk mounted bicycle racks the strongest and most environmentally friendly racks on the market. Injection-molded arms and legs can support up to three bikes with ease and will never rust.
Key Features :
- Carriers 3 bikes, 35 lbs per bike.
- The rack comes pre assembled with 6 attachment straps that secure the rack to your vehicle.
- Articulated rubber feet to protect the paint.
- Cradle design will accommodate most bicycle frame designs.
- Frame fits over most spoilers.
- Not intended for tandem or recumbent bikes; carrying bikes with step-through frames requires the purchase of an adapter (sold separately).
- 105 lb. load limit.
Thule T2 Pro XT 2 Bike Rack:
The Thule T2 Pro XT sets the standard for hitch mounted tray style racks. It’s the winner of our Editors Choice award for hitch racks. The original version of this model was the previous winner of our Editors’ Choice award, and despite an aggressive influx of new models from competitors, the T2 Pro XT maintains its position as the best hitch rack on the market.
Key Features :
- Secure bikes quickly without frame contact with the frame-free ratcheting arm.
- Easy to install and remove the rack with the tool-free AutoAttach system.
- Premium platform hitch bike rack for 2 bikes.
- Ideal for carbon frames, mountain, downhill, e-bikes and fat bikes as it fits 20 – 29” wheels and up to 5” tires without adapters.
- Lock bikes to the rack and secure the rack to the receiver with the integrated cable lock and lock knob.
- Fits 20 – 29 ” wheels, fat bikes with up to 5″ tires, and hub spacing up to 197 mm.
YAKIMA – Highroad Wheel-On Mount Upright Bike Rack:
Our penultimate product and the second entry from Yakima – and we’ve waited until near the end of the list to see something a little different. What we have here is an upright style of the bike rack, i.e. one that is mounted to the roof of the vehicle via the roof rack. Secure, sleek and simple to use, the Yakima HighRoad Upright Bike Mount is Yakima’s newest premium upright bike mount. The adjustment-free hoop with its TorqueRight tightening knob means almost any bike, road or mountain, with tires up to 4.00 inches can be quickly and easily loaded for safe, secure travel. Two SKS Locks (sold separately) can be added to lock the bike to mount and mount to the base rack.
Key Features :
- Upright Style Bike Carrier.
- Low profile tray minimizes hatch interference; No wheel removal and no contact with the bike frame (an ideal option for carbon fiber bikes and custom paint jobs).
- Capacity for One Bike Only.
- New integrated TorqueRight tightening knob is quick and easy to adjust and secures your bike with precision.
Hollywood Racks F2 Over-the-Top Trunk Bike Rack:
The new Over-theTop bike rack from Hollywood Racks features an adjustable “high rise” frame which prevents strap contact with the spoiler. Includes removable hatch anchors and quick-connect straps for secure attachment to hatches, trunks, roof rack crossbars and roof rack raised rails. It features an adjustable “high rise” frame which prevents strap contact with the spoiler, it’s lightweight, and it’s easy to install.
Key Features :
- Features a high rise adjustable frame designed for SUVs, Hatchbacks, and cars with spoilers. Includes 3 different types of attachment straps to ensure the right fit for your vehicle.
- The trunk-mounted rack carries up to 2 bikes on the back of your vehicle.
- 4 Adjustable cam buckle straps with rubber-coated hooks anchor the base of the rack to your trunk or hatch door.
- Kids bikes, ladies frame bikes, and some mountain bikes may require a top tube adapter to fit on the rack.
- Folding design allows for compact storage.