Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) are great for sport traveling and are made with a versatility that helps bikers to access different sites to enjoy their hobbies. SUVs are actually designed with plenty of room but if you are bringing your family and friends with luggage and their bikes, finding space for all of those items becomes problematic. Before diving into the different types of racks, start by considering your needs. Aside from budget, decide which type of vehicle you will primarily be using, and how many bikes you will typically need to transport.
Types Of Bike Racks for SUV:
- Roof Holder:
Some models mounted on the roof are attached to a frame and 2 crossbars (found in many cars) on the roof of a car, while others use mounting feet and clips that adhere to the gutters of the door frame. car.
- Bikes (or other types of gear) are tucked out of the way, which leaves unimpeded access to the car’s interior and trunk space. With a number of mounting systems for different types of gear and for the different seasons, a bicycle roof rack is highly versatile.
- Most versatile system; more secure and stable; unimpeded access to car doors or rear trunk
- Lifting and reaching are required to secure bikes, so this might not always be a great option for taller vehicles or people who have difficulty with heavy lifting. Racks are not as easily removed as the hitch- or trunk-mounted systems and often require some tools.
- Some hoisting and reaching required; wind resistance; may not fit in low-clearance spaces.
The straps or brackets must be tightly attached to the car, with the frame brackets and support arms oriented correctly before the assembly of the cycles.
- Less expensive; portable; easy to load and access bikes; can be used on multiple vehicles; good for occasional use.
- These rear gate carrier bike racks for SUVs are quick and easy to install, they are not permanently affixed to the vehicle, and they are moderate in cost.
- These racks are only able to hold a maximum of two bikes, and tire covers must be removed which can be a bit of an inconvenience.
- The rack can obstruct the license plate or the taillights, and it is a criminal offense in some areas (in that case there are license plates for bicycle carriers ).
Hitch-Mounted Bike Rack:
The rack with easy to use features ensures the safe transfer of your bike when going camping or road trips or long drives. Quick assembling and easy installation make it the best bike rack for SUV owners and bike lovers.
- The 15-inch gap between the handles of the bike which protects them from rubbing with each other.
- Simple installation; easy to load and access bikes; some models allow clear access to the rear door; good for frequent use
- Need to have a receiver hitch on your vehicle otherwise the rack is of no use.
- Advanced models can be expensive; basic models interfere with access to the trunk or rear cargo area; bikes may away.
8 Best Bike Racks for SUV
These are the 8 best bike racks for SUVs :
Tyger Auto Deluxe 3:
The 3-bike rack from Tyger comes fully assembled and ready to fit most hatchbacks, sedans, SUVs, and minivans. This rack is strong and sturdy and extremely reliable. Tyger focuses on developing premium aftermarket auto parts that meet or exceed OE quality standards. Tyger Delux bike rack is a handy and trusty bike carrier. Fits all types of dual-arm bikes on vehicles equipped with either a 1-1/4″ or a 2″ hitch receiver.
Allen Sports Aluminum Folding 2:
The Allen Ultra-compact carrier delivers all of the benefits of a full-featured bicycle carrier, with the ease of use and convenience of Allen’s patented folding design. This aluminum bike rack by Allen Sport has a patent-pending design perfect for solo riding. The rack is designed to fit most SUVs, minivans, sedans, and hatchbacks holding bikes up to 35-lbs. The padded lower frame keeps the bicycle away from the vehicle.
Allen Sports Deluxe 4:
Allen Sport offers their deluxe 4-bike rack with a 2-inch receiver and 22-inch long carry arms. The rack works to secure each bike individually with their patented tie-down system. Take your bikes wherever you go with the Allen Sports Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Carrier. The carrier features a tie-down system that helps individually secure and protects bikes for safe travel. The folding carry arm design allows the rack’s arms to drop out of the way when the carrier is not being used.
Yakima Products Ridgeback:
Here’s a hitch rack that goes long on features. Starring the UpperHand control lever that tilts the rack to make access to your vehicle a cinch. It also includes zero-hassle ZipStrips to secure your bike, folds flat for easy storage and to top it off is fully-assembled out of the box. Weight: 32.00 lbs. Dimensions: L 44.00 in x W 12.00 in x H 16.00 in.Some spec is given below:
- No garage required. It comes fully assembled with no bits and pieces.
- Distance between arms (outside cradle to outside cradle): 13-1/2″.
- Enjoy a cold one with the Yakima signature bottle opener.
- Carrier weight: 35 lbs.
MaxxHaul 4-Bike Deluxe:
MaxxHaul Towing Products 70210: Deluxe 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack is Ideal for vans, RVs, SUVs, pickup trucks and sedans with a receiver hitch. It can be easily installed in minutes. Support arms with adjustable hold-down straps firmly secure and transport your bikes. This 4-bike hitch rack has been created from steel, is easily adjustable and comes with hook and loop straps to ensure that your bikes remain safe and secure as they travel. Please be aware that this is not a bike rack suitable for RVs or for bikes with slanted handlebars, but other than that there are very few limitations to purchasing this bike rack for your family. Some spec is given below:
- Adjustable bike cradle with hook and loop straps.
- It does not hold bikes with slanted bars, like women’s bikes.
- Swing down feature allows easy access to rear of the vehicle.
Tyger Auto Deluxe Black 1:
TYGER AUTO focuses on developing premium aftermarket auto parts that meet or exceed OE quality standards. TYGER Delux bike rack is a handy and trusty bike carrier! Fitment Fits most Sedans/Hatchbacks/Minivans and SUV’s. (Exclude vehicles equipped with rear spoilers.)Tyger Auto TG-RK1B204B Deluxe Black 1-Bike Trunk Mount Bicycle Carrier Rack. (Fits most Sedans/Hatchbacks/Minivans and SUVs.).Some spec is given below:
- One bike capacity with sturdy and handy construction. The padded lower frame keeps bicycles away from the vehicle. (Safety strap included.).
- Easy installation in minutes. (DIY instruction included in the package.)
- 100% assembled. Fits most Sedans/Hatchbacks/Minivans and SUV’s. (Not recommended for vehicles equipped with rear spoilers.).
Pro Series Q-Slot 4-Bike Carrier:
The eclipse rack by Pro-Series has three designs ready to support two, three, or four bicycles on your vehicle. This rack allows trunk access and works well for unloading and loading bikes. Some spec is given below:
- Wheel slots adjust for children’s and adult bikes.
- Modular; can be used as a 2 place or a 4 place bike carrier.
- Wheel slots fold vertically for compact storage.
Swagman Platform Hitch Rack:
This bike carrier provides a stress-free way to transport your bikes. Each bike is secured at both wheels and at the frame providing a more stable and safe ride. Cushioned hooks are adjustable for different sized bikes and ratchet down for a tight fit. Some spec is given below:
- KEEPS YOUR BIKE STABLE: Sturdy design includes a built-in anti-wobble hitch device to keep bikes in place.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE & USE: Only takes a few minutes to assemble following the instructions. Once installed, simply place your bikes on the rack and start cruising to your destination with confidence knowing that your bikes are secure.
- PAINLESS LOADING & UNLOADING: Once installed you can load and unload the bikes to the vehicle flawlessly.