What is an Electric Bike?
An electric bicycle is also known as an e-bike is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor that can be used for propulsion. Many kinds of e-bikes are available worldwide, from e-bikes that only have a small motor to assist the rider’s pedal-power (i.e. pedelecs) to more powerful e-bikes which are closer to moped-style functionality.
Some view the rise of e-bikes as a threat, as though standard bikes will go the way of penny-farthing once everyone goes electric. But fear not: E-bikes aren’t here to rob us of our human-powered way of life. In fact, they may very well enhance it.
How do electric bikes work?
Electric bikes pedal and handle just like a regular bicycle. By and large, an electric bike will use the same parts too. The electric component is meant to augment human power, not completely replace it. It makes obstacles like hills and headwind more manageable and allows you to travel further without getting as tired.
The three main components of electric bikes are :
Pros of Using an Electric Bike
- E-bikes have what they call battery-powered “pedal assist.” Technically, this is a machine integrated within the bike to give you’re pedaling a boost. This can reduce stress and impact on your knees and thighs. Say goodbye to sweaty rides.
Less Commuting Stress:
- Wasting your time in rush hour traffic, planning your route according to bus stop locations, or being tightly packed in public transport – it all generates stress.
- The effects of this freedom on mental health are huge. With an e-bike, you can go where you want when you want. It clears your head, gives you moderate exercise and sets your mind up for your daily challenges.
Fast and flexible:
- The technology gives you the extra oomph you need to cover miles of distance with little effort. You can also still take advantage of the multi-purpose cycle lane and paths that are traffic-free, brilliant if you’re living in a city to slash your commute time. These are getting more and more popular in cities as governments and councils urge people to give up their cars.
- Allows you to travel faster than a regular bike(especially when going uphill)
Less air pollution:
- While a car can release more than two tonnes of CO2 every year, e-bikes don’t release toxic gases into the atmosphere. E-bikes are also an estimated six times more energy-efficient than rail trains.
- Riding e-bikes is also better for road conditions. Cars and trucks can damage roads which leads to costly and environmentally-damaging repairs. E-bikes, in contrast, won’t have the same wear and tear, helping to cut down on these large infrastructure construction projects.
- If the battery is empty, you can just cycle normally, which may help you lose weight!
Cons of Using an Electric Bike
Significant upfront investment:
- It’s not uncommon for people to learn about electric bikes for the first time to be surprised by the cost of an e-bike, which typically ranges anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000. And while there’s no getting around the fact that using an e-bike requires a significant upfront investment, the good news is that once you’ve spent the money to purchase a high-quality electric bike.
- Compared to conventional bikes, electric bikes are more expensive to buy and maintain. The bikes use batteries and motors which may need replacement after some time. This is a cost that normal bicycle users never incur.
Heavier than conventional bikes:
- They have motors and batteries, which add their weight. Hence, they are difficult to ride when the battery dies or when they have flat tires. If this happens in the middle of nowhere, the bikes become impractical vehicles.
- The weight of the batteries makes the bike heavy; so, you may not be able to carry heavy pillion riders (unless you hyperinflate your rear wheel tires), and you will need to check the tire pressure regularly, perhaps every 10 days.
- The most important expense that the owner might bear is that of the batteries. The sealed, maintenance-free, lead-acid batteries have a limited life and have to be replaced if they get damaged or if they no longer offer a range that is sufficient for the user’s needs.
- Short battery life and long charging time, should you buy a 10 Ah 36 V battery, you are likely limited to around 50 km (36 mi)
5 Best Beginner Mountain Bikes
Ancheer Power Plus Electric Mountain Bike
Ancheer Power Plus is the first e-bike under $1000 that I rode, so I feel well enough to comment on its suitability as a beginner’s electric bike. It’s one of the most affordable options in our list and if your expectations are realistic for an affordable entry-level bike, then surely Ancheer is our top recommendation for you. You’ll be impressed with what you are getting for the price.
Key Features :
- Strong Body – The fork is made of carbon steel and the handlebar is made from aluminum alloy. This makes the bike lightweight yet very sturdy. These metals can take heavyweights as well as rough terrain and has an adjustable seat/handlebar angle/stem’s length set. thus making this an apt mountain bike.
- Brake & Gear Shift System – With front and rear disc brakes and a 21-speed transmission system, you can choose any speed according to your needs. The perfect brakes fully protect your safety. And the horn and the bright LED headlamp are equipped for night riding.
NOTE: The latest price of this bike is $619.99
Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 Electric Mountain Bike
The Cyclamatic Power Plus CX1 is an electric mountain bike. The powerful motor enables you to experience incredible performance, reaching up to 15 mph across a potential distance of 28 miles
Key Features :
- Incredible performance – 28 miles range on normal terrain. Reach speeds of up to 15 mph. Upgraded lithium-ion battery – 36V.
- Comfort – Padded saddle. 21-speed Shimano gears for a smooth ride. Kenda Tyres. Front suspension.
- Suitable for user 5ft 4 / age 14 upwards.
NOTE: The latest price of this bike is $499.99
Nakto City Electric Bicycle
The NAKTO CITY CLASSIC LOW STEP Electric Bike by NAKTO is a 26″ Easy Going Design electric bicycle with an easy step-thru frame design and comfort handlebar. Equipped with a 36 volt 250-watt AOMA Brushless hub motor with both throttle-control and pedal-assistance features.
Key Features :
- The electric bikes adopt High-strength Carbon Steel Frame, the front fork is made of high-strength Carbon Steel and packed with premium comfort shock absorption..
- This electric bike with front V Brake and rear Expansion brake and 6-Speed-Transmission System, you can choose any speed according to your needs.
NOTE: The latest price of this bike is $648.99
Merax Aluminum Electric Mountain Bike
The components on this bike are good quality, mostly Shimano, which is a very good and recognized brand name. The frame is also nicely made, welds look solid and even and it does not look cheap.
Key Features :
- The front headlight is strong enough for night riding but does not offer any other modes other than on and off, no blinking.
- There is only one rear derailleur, which is pretty standard on electric mountain bikes, as the motor is there to help you or completely take over.
- This bicycle arrives 85% assembled. It’s not hard to finish assembly by yourself.
NOTE: The latest price of this bike is $679.99
Swagtron SwagCycle EB-5 Folding Bike
Add a boost of swag to your travels with the EB-5 E-Bike! Reinforced with quality materials and a long-lasting battery, this electric bicycle is the answer to revamping your everyday commute. From major cities to countrysides, this spectacular e-bike can take you just about anywhere. Twist the throttle and speed just over 15 MPH as you race to class with the power assist or break a sweat as you pedal through your morning errands.
Key Features :
- Comfortable to ride long-distance.
- Speeds up to 15+ MPH.
- The battery lasts up to 15 miles per charge.